Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

 

I stood here watching the bees for the longest time as they gathered pollen from my blanket flowers. It was overcast and a nice breeze drifted through the trees. I do enjoy my alone time in the morning. despite HeWho telling me I could never go "up there" alone again. Just because I lost my balance and planted my face on that log!


I was weeding in the shade where my caladium bulbs have come to life dramatically. I saw some hornets buzzing around close to the ground and decided to back off. One brave hornet decided to try his luck and was mutilated for his efforts! He kind of stung my inner arm, but I knocked him off before he could inject a whole load of his poison. Just a little sting. It was nothing compared to the attack before. So, I stood contemplating the bumble bees on the blanket flowers. They never bother me as I work around the gardens. Later this afternoon, as evening is approaching, the butterflies will be out in full force.

Last week I saw a hole in the ground as I worked a garden. It was too small for a mole, so I was pondering a snake when I saw the hornets flying in. Must have been the workers, home for the evening. They got a big surprise when HeWho shot the wasp spray into the hole. Then we watched as more came home and sensing danger, did not enter. The one that got me this morning was probably one of the those! They must be like cats and hold grudges.


I worked this bed before the partial sting. I rescued the celosia yesterday from Walmart. I got twelve plants for $4. I have day lilies planted along there, as well. They will be back next spring and start to spread. I planted some begonias below the celosia, also rescued for a mere pittance. They will provide some color until next season. I plan to buy about 500 bulbs, tulips and daffodil. I will plant them this fall all along the road. The daffodils will pop up first, as as they are fading, the tulips will take over and the day lilies will be ready to bloom as the tulips go. I can hardly wait!


This particular bed is in the sun most of the day and starts at the beginning of the drive. The sun hits it good until my steps that go up to the She Shed. I will probably be planting Liriope and other shade lovers along the way to the house.


My half price fern that was scraggly and sad looking when I purchased it hangs in a tree and no longer looks sad.


Remember those tiny elephant ears? They grew.


Not sure how this bulb ended up over here, but it is coming up here, despite my efforts to plant it elsewhere.


And, just because I can ..... here is Mr. BoJangles settling down for a nap. That sweet face just melts the heart. He is beginning to lose his puppy mischief and is becoming more obedient. He will be a faithful companion to the end, just like all of his adopted siblings in the pack he is now a part of.

He has the right idea, it is nap time!

Comments

  1. Mr. Bo Jangels has captured my heart! Your gardeningis paying off. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many hours of hard work! Bo is so sweet when he is sleepy. He will try to push the laptop off my lap to get in my lap. He goes absolutely limp when I play with his fur.

      Delete
  2. Here where I live by the national park, the saying wherever there is a clump of daffodils along the road "There was a house there once." The park took the houses, mostly by eminent domain or life estates. Tore down the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize hornets made nests in the ground. I don't think we have hornets here, just red wasps and the yellow striped ones (not yellow jackets, they're bigger) that make the paper nests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either untill I disturbed the first nest at the kampground! Not a good surprise as they traveled up the legs of my shorts and into my shirt. I left clothes flying behind me as I made a mad dash for the office and did not care who saw me! The stings are vicious and they attack in groups. I think they are only active in summer when It is very hot, need to do more reseach, though.

      Delete
  4. Mr. Bo looks so peaceful there, but we know from Cujo's tales that he can be a little imp! I'm not sure an actual elephant could grow into your elephant ears. They're HUGE! Are you sure you don't have more than two (green) thumbs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bo is so sweet when he is asleep!! He is still apt to chew things if we aren't carefull, but his favorite thing right now is fighting with Toni Louise. They snarl and growl and roll around. It is annoying. Cujo and Eddie just ignore them.

      Delete
  5. It's definitely nap time. your gardens are coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yesterday I noiced that a deer helped him/herself to about a dozen zinnia in the upper garden. Not too happy about that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier