I Feel The Earth Move

 You might recall me being disconcerted (complaining) about my parking space not being under shelter. HeWho likes to think himself to be the solver of problems immediately put one of those cheap tops you might put up as a temporary shelter. The first rain (the next day) took it down. The legs being those spindly cheap aluminum ones. His wife had assured him that this would happen, but she is not one to say "I told you so". (snicker)

He purchased another one straight away, it is supposed to be stronger. This was months ago and it lingers outside, still in the box. I am used to this. His solutions are bought, then never applied. Actually, this one is my fault. We have this nice big carport for the RV and the truck. This thing he bought looks like a storage tent. I don't like the looks of it and like the carport it will be one of the first things in sight when you come down my drive.

It is hard to turn around to go up the drive, requiring backing out or in. The drive is steep and the drop off on either side is also steep. So, implementing my insomnia and trouble solving skills, I pondered a solution for quite some time.


You might remember the first attempt to make a stairway to the upper bank where the She Shed sits. I started it, planning to incorporate those big boulders at the bottom. Then HeWho hi-jacked my project and purchased all manner of stuff, the cement blocks and a pick-axe. He proceeded to make a path so tightly spaced that only a toddlers foot could navigate the steps. But, I digress.

I decided that we should widen the driveway and put a drain pipe in the ditch to cover over with rocks and then dig away at the embankment and create a place for my car to park that is out of the front yard.

HeWho was skeptical. However, this skepticism did not stop him from going out and buying the drain pipe, all 25' of it. He complained about the expense and then we stretched it out. I knew it was not enough, the driveway is longer than that. We didn't plan to put the pipe all the way to the top, just the deep part. But, keep in mind that it has to drain somewhere and the front yard was not in my plan! He bought 100' more and still we had to use the remaining 25' to accomplish our goal. I am always the voice of reason and suggested we snake the pipe under the shed behind the carport and let the drain water cascade down the ravine.

That was the plan, even if he has yet to snake the pipe under the shed and instead has the flow going in front of another out building. No worries, I will do it myself. The lattice under the shed must be his roadblock, but all one has to do is pop off a couple of the pieces to accommodate the pipe .... But, again, I digress.

Since the installation of the pipe I have employed the pick axe, shovel, spade and garden rake to hack down enough dirt to cover the pipe in the ditch. The dirt is well packed, but succumbs to my efforts easily enough. I try to spend a few minutes of my day knocking down dirt. When I tire of that, I do less vigorous tasks, such as watering and tending my gardens.

The boulders seemed insurmountable until I started picking away at them and discovered that it was more than just two boulders! 


This is actually around the corner where the boulders lay. I have chopped away the vegetation and dug down and spread the dirt out. 



Here is the photo I wanted, but blogger changed my mind for me. You can see that I also employed my personal chain saw. You can see the next boulder I will move with the power of HeWho and a crowbar. Just imagine the room I will have to turn my vehicle around in!!


This was the first boulder to move by flipping it end over end. Imagine my creeping thyme with pink blooms surrounding the boulder in my new evolving rock garden! My car previously sat partly on the weeded area. I am waiting for it to cool down to go out and loosen up some more boulders. Just you wait, I will have a parking spot soon!

Comments

  1. Highway crews could use you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I move just as fast as they do!! they have been working on a road since we moved here and have made little progress. There are always a group of the men standing and talking, occasionally pointing. They get paid for that! Just do it!

      Delete
  2. You could even get a bigger car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop that talk! HeWho might hear you! I will have to share my space with the golf cart as it is. He is looking for a boat now .... We might be rednecks.

      Delete
  3. You are one determined woman who gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, if I start it, he eventually starts to feel guilty and will join me in my efforts. Then I will play with his male ego and point out that I am getting more done than he is. Next we need a load of gravel and he has surgery on his leg next week, then has to heal and go back for the other leg. I fear I will be shoveling rock on my own next month! I can honestly say I prefer shoveling rock to driving the man who will be deprived of food to Atlanta next Tuesday!

      Delete
  4. Probably not so much as you think. I do have rather fierce determination, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way. Once I start a project I want to work at it til it's done. Though only occasionally does my husband feel guilty and join in, really almost never. Which is fine because then I can get it done the way I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still hacking away at the mountain. HeWho is not much help will have a procedure next week to open the arteries in his right leg, then heal and go for the left leg. Progress will come to an abrupt halt as I will be taking care of him.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth