Bruises and Stepping Stones

 Before my latest calamity, I changed gears in my front yard. You might recall that I had been vigorously removing the rock that seemed to cover the entire "yard" up to the steps going inside. I had been doing this for over 6 months, longing for grass. On a whim I bought 4 stepping stones, thinking to make a landing area under the first step.

I was going to place them in a square, touching each other, in hopes that most of the dirt on shoes might decide to depart before entering the porch. I carefully started clearing the growth from that area. If I encountered grass, I carefully scooped it up and then finding a bare spot to plant it in the scraggly yard. All the weeds were slung behind me unceremoniously, this act affording me a measure of satisfaction.

While involved in this endeavor I was suddenly hit with an epiphany. This happens to me from time to time. I stopped and placed the stepping stones in a row. I liked it more than my other idea. Everyday rocks purge up from the bare areas I have weeded, so I grabbed a rake and started raking them to the stepping stones and this is what it started to look like.

Try to overlook the hose. I am a multi tasker, you know and the turtle habitat was just rinsed out on the porch, then the epiphany came and I wanted to test it .... HeWho must have liked my idea as well, since he agreed to get 8 more stepping stones and mulch for me.


I employed cardboard to kill the vegetation around the steps and under them. I ended up with 4 more steps than I needed, but since this was taken I have shoveled excess rock from the carport installation and filled in around all the steps. I will eventually fill in the entire area. In the meantime I am still pulling the weeds that seem to have a secret life underground.

I spread more grass seed and have high hopes for a healthy lawn. Then I looked at the picture and reminded HeWho that we need to water seal the little porch. Then I got to thinking that the banister and rails would look better white. I have white paint and also need to paint the shed we put siding on. But that can wait for less humid weather. 

One of my children used to call humidity "humility". Either my oldest daughter or youngest. The middle daughter was and still is a grammar freak. Her twin brother called helicopters "hockitellers". I can close my eyes and see the little scrap of a boy on the beach pointing to the sky and yelling in a booming voice "HOCKITELLERS". The mispronounciation  of children is so endearing. Everytime I hear a helicopter I think of Jeffrey. And when you stop to think about it, humidity can defintely be humiliating!!


I planted gourds by the lattice that hides the trash cans. The last few years have not yeilded any, so I was in a "plant and see" mode, not really hoping they would come up, much less produce. But here are two plants that are vigorously growing. Despite the bears attacking the garbage cans and rolling a rock onto them.

Today my nose is tender to the touch and my lips are sore. I am surprised that I don't ache all over, but other than a little stiffness in my arm and my scars on my face, you wouldn't even know about my calamity yesterday!

Comments

  1. That place is going to whip you or you are going to whip IT in to the shape you want it. It is looking really homey. Like the stones and lattice. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be old and dizzy, but do not underestimate my determination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to weather seal our new deck but that chore will have to wait for fall. You are one busy person. If I tried working outside now I'd drop from overheating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're building a nice little area for those bears to enjoy, heh, heh! Don't work too hard in this heat and 'humility.' I'd freak out if I knew bears were roaming around my house! I guess you have a pretty good warning system, with the noise of the trash cans, and your doggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all coming together nicely. I agree the porch rails would look better white, maybe a little green trim to match the shutters? In the second picture, the curved bare patch between the rocks/stepping stones and the grassed area, could you maybe make that edge the edge of the rocky section? With the stepping stones still where they are. Or not, it is your yard, not mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for some German Thyme. It is a ground cover that has a spicy orange scent. You can walk on it and it spreads quickly. I will remove the stones except for the one around the stepping stones and plant it. Deer and rabbits do not like the scent. Everything on the other side will be grass. That is my plan at any rate. I am having trouble finding live plants. I have ordered bare root plants before and do not have good luck with them. I am hunting for seed now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Bittersweet

Stories Better Left Untold