Big Boo Boo

The day dawned deliciously cool, in the low 60's. I gulped down my coffee and headed out with my chainsaw. We are putting a drain pipe in the ditch down the drive. I want to widen the drive. It was pretty easy digging the trench until I encountered the rocky part. That required implementing the pick axe, but I am not opposed to a good challenge. I have to confess that HeWho is opposed to manual labor contributed his muscles to hardest part of the trench. I still did the longest part! Now that we have inserted the drain pipe it is time to bury it.

We started last night and covered most of it. I noted some trees that needed to come down to accommodate my lofty plans and that was my goal this morning. I cut down 2 big trees (big to me means that I can't get the limb loppers around it to just snap it to the ground) and some bushes. I cleaned up all the debris resulting and then started hacking away at the embankment. I was making great progress and the dirt was coming down into a sizable pile. I used the garden rake to spread it over the pipe. It was beginning to reach the temperature that would send me inside and I still needed to water plants.

I noticed my right hand was aching, but still turned the water on. I have soaker hoses all rigged up on the embankment, but I have to manually water my veggies. I was determined to finish before I went in and did not even look at my hand until I was turning the water off with my left hand ... because my right hand was hurting. I thought it was just arthritis. I am no stranger to annoying pain. Not arthritis, I don't even know what I did, but I must have hit my hand on something. The picture doesn't do it justice. Looks like a vessel burst and made a big bubble of blood under my skin. 


 My hand is in this picture of Charming Eddie, a little blurry, but you can see how big that bubble is. Eddie would appear to be bored with my tale of woe. He is definitely feeling better after only one application of the ear medication. I still have to do another application today. I lifted his ear and looked this morning and it looks so much better.


Mommy, clean my face!! Such a sweet boy, he even allowed the tech to clip his impressively long toe nails. He was not happy about it, but he didn't bite at her. His ear was awful. He refused to let us even touch it yesterday before the visit to the vet. It was red and swollen and very wet on the inside. We had to clean it and get as dry as possible, then put the medication in. He succumbed to it all, but he yelped when the meds went in his ear. He wanted nothing more than to lay in my arms after that. I was happy to oblige.

Upon returning home, his dog siblings sniffed him down and Bo tried to get to the sick ear. That will continue to be the hardest part of his recovery, keeping Bo's tongue out of Eddie's ear!


This is one of the projects I have been busy with in the past week. This table top originally sat atop a big stump at the kampground. Just one of those you can pick up at a home improvement store. Due to the process of the stump decaying, it became warped. I was loathe to just toss it. I put it flat on the floor under a bed and stacked heavy stuff on top. I was hoping to take the warp out. When we were packing up for the move, HeWho objected to packing it. Said I didn't NEED it. I insisted and it took up very little room. I snaded it and poly'd it and now it graces my dining nook. I love it. I makes the area look bigger than the rectangle table did. I ordered the hairpin legs from Walmart for $25. The chairs in the picture have been changed to a couple of mismatched ladder back chairs I bought a long time ago, one was a dumpster dive item. I painted them flat black. As soon as I find some pleasing fabric, I will add padding to the seats and recover them.

Comments

  1. I hate it when unknown boo-boos show up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever I did must not have hurt! I used my topical arthritis meds on it and that took the aching away. Looks like I will just have an impressive bruise for some time, though!

      Delete
  2. YOUCH to your hand bubble and Eddie's ear, but I DO like your salvaged table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hand will heal. The table still has a touch of warp, though it is not noticable. Just had to use a bottle cap under one leg to make it sit level. To think he would have thrown it away! It is small than the other table, just room for two. This means HeWho can't pile junk on one end!

      Delete
    2. Have you established "ends" yet? If so, watch out that he doesn't pile stuff on your end.

      Delete
    3. That is the good thing about round tables, there is no end! push stuff too far and it will fall to the floor. This table is only 36", so only enough room to fix a plate at the stove and then eat at the table. A napkin holder and salt and pepper shaker is all that will fit.

      Delete
  3. Poor, poor Eddie. I'm glad he seems better today. Hurt animals are harder to bear than personal hurts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly stand it when they are hurting. I always feel guilty, don't know why, since I would never hurt them!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad Eddie is feeling better, but ouch on your poor hand. It looks like you might have popped a small vein. Luckily they heal themselves quickly, but the bruise looks like it will be there awhile. Do you have Arnica cream? It helps to "break up" a bruise and it goes away a bit faster. The table top is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs seem to heal quite fast. He is back to his old self, not guarding the ear at all. Funny thing about the hand, it doesn't hurt that much. I am using my topical cream that I use for arthritis and it has an anti-inflammatory agent, so the swelling is mostly gone. The entire top of the hand is discolored, though.

      Delete
  5. Oh man, I hate when I pop a blood vessel. I usually know when I do as it stings. Good save on the table top but I would have preferred spindle legs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Bittersweet

Stories Better Left Untold