Vegetable Garden

 

When planning a vegetable garden, the sun plays a big part. I haven't really found a spot I like, so I haven't tilled up any ground. All in containers, this is my garden this year. Before we left on our trip, I covered everything with a net to keep the rabbits at bay.

I had put everything together in a tight little area to be sure it would cover everything. Yesterday I spent the cooler morning hours taking the netting off and making sure all the containers were where the sun cold hit them all. I realized the net was bigger than I thought it would be. I mean, I could have read the description on the package to determine this but this was more fun.

HeWho is my errand boy has been dispatched for some pool noodles from the Dollar and a Quarter Tree. My beans and tomato vines were growing through the net. This made it difficult to harvest any thing, not being able to lift the net easily. The pool noodles will create an arch over the garden and the net will lie atop the noodles. I should be able to lift one side up to weed or harvest.

I have tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, early sweet peas, water melon, potatoes, asparagus, basil and rosemary. The tomato vines currently have six green tomatoes and the cucumber is starting t flower. The early sweet peas has yielded about 6 pods. Most of the plants were eaten by rabbits. I usually just eat them raw, as I pick them. Next year I will net everything a lot sooner.

The whirlygigs help keep the birds away. This is located right outside my front door! Not ideal. The front door is the door to the screened in porch, then you enter the house through a sliding door that stands open most of the time. When we close the porch in to create a bigger living area, I want a proper front door.

By then I should have found an ideal location for my garden. I don't know if I want to till the ground. I think I might prefer raised beds in a U shape, at least waist high. I suggested a sunny area between the two sheds behind the carport and HeWho stared at me in amazement. "You do know that is where the septic tank is?" he says to me. "RAISED BEDS!" I answered. He still thinks I shouldn't have a vegetable garden there, well, just because.

The past few days have been lovely. The temperature has dropped into the 50's at night and gets up to about 80 in the afternoon. A constant breeze keeps things very pleasant and I have accomplished quite a bit working in the early hours of the morning and again in the evening.

Today I mowed my dog yard ad the area around it, plus the front yard. I will mow the sloping area around the She Shed this evening. I might even spend a couple of hours in the She Shed sorting and organizing.

Comments

  1. Raised beds are good. Waist high would be ideal. Tough on bunnies, though probably a smorgasbord for deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waist high is ideal for sure! I am hoping the netting proves to be the deterrant necessary. It will require a lot of soil to fill the boxes. I better start saving now!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on settling in and making it a home so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't seem like it was quick! But when I look back and see all that I have accomplished, I suppose it is. I tend to look forard and see all that still needs to be done.

      Delete
  3. Raised beds are a great idea, a lot less bending and kneeling for weeding and picking purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bending, I can't kneel anymore. My knees protest. I am excited about having the boxes waist high! What a luxuy that will be!

      Delete
  4. I like that net idea. Hopefully your garden produces a lot of goodies. Dadgum critters do too. Bill and our neighbor shooed a ground hog back and forth into each other's garden one summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see deer tracks a lot and the rabbits are everywhere. Moles have been tunneling through my garden beds up by the She Shed. But I like nature, so what can you do? I will employ the netting and deal with it. I thought about setting up a feeding area for the bunnies to deter them from my vegetation, but word might spread amoung the bunny nation and I would be overcome with hungry bunnies ..... Maybe not a good idea.

      Delete
  5. Raised beds are the way to go but waist high is a lot of dirt to buy and shovel. I had four tomato plants in pots this year but it got too hot and dry too fast and no one's tomatoes in the area did squat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raised beds demand more attention than the ones in the ground. But what a joy to not have to bend!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth