Memory Lane

Yeah, I know it is Fathers Day. I have done my duty to the only father in my immediate presence today. I baked a cake to his liking and make his requested dinner, spagetti.

Too hot to work outside until this evening, while the cake baked, I started sorting a box of photos. Remember when you could get doubles for just a dollar more when having film developed. You did it because it was such a bargain. But that was trusting that every photo was worthy of doubling without benefit of first seeing them. I eliminated quite a few blurred, out of focus photos and their doubles while the cake batter turned into cake. I didn't find any good ones of my Daddy in this particular box. I did find these pictures of me and my sister from 1955.


That would be me on the left and my sister on the right. I look a little less than well groomed. I was about 2 and 1/2. My sister was almost 2 years older than me. We don't look like sisters, do we? I grew up very much in her shadow. Not her fault. She was my big sister in every way. My protector, my tormentor, my best friend and worst enemy. We fought like all siblings do and we forgave like all siblings should. I miss her every day. So many times I want to pick up the phone to call her and tell her all the secrets of my life. Instead I wander through my garden and talk to her and miss her.

I miss my Daddy, too. Like I said it is Fathers Day. I have many more photo boxes to sort. Today I started sorting all of the dog pictures out. There are a lot of them. Then I will sort out the pictures of each of my children and their families. Then vacation photos. All the while tossing a lot of those doubles and unflattering photos of myself!!

Comments

  1. I've lost my brothers, but still have my sister. And that's nice, but I miss my mother the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had only one sibling. She died from Covid at 69. My mom died when she was 69, too. I will turn 69 next month. I wonder if I am destined to die at 69 .... I miss my Daddy the most.

      Delete
  2. I thought the photos were generational, one of you, and a later one of a daughter enjoying the same book. I need to go through boxes of old photos too. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I think it would be hard to re-create the same style of photography. I have no recollection of having that picture taken, but I was at most only 2 and 1/2.

      Delete
  3. You do look alike in that picture...same blond hair, blue eyes, chubby cheeks and nose. I have an older sister, three years older. We never got long. I wanted to hang out with her and she did not want me around. It wasn't until my early 20s that we started developing a relationship. Now she's really my best friend and lives across the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was still a baby, so it would be hard to tell, but we don't have many facial features in common. My eyes are green and my hair is that baby fine fly-away mess still today. We were rivals from the very beginning, a relationship fostered by my mother. One never knew who would be in her favor from day to day. She became more and more like Mother in her later years, holding onto bitter feelings and imagined slights. Still, she was my sister and the only one who knew all the secrets of my young life. I am the only one left from my original family.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth