Playing In Dirt

The last few days have been busy outside. The time just flies by as I work in the dirt. I bought a couple of ferns that were on a clearance rack and had not decided where to put them. There were getting too much sun. I asked HeWho about tossing a chain over the side supports in the carport so I could hang them in the partial shade. That was a few days ago.

I listened to him speculate about getting the ladder out and how high the 13' ceiling was. It is 13', by the way, only one way to say it. He pondered and pontificated while I just picked them up and set them on the ground in the shade. I figured he had watched me do this and thought "problem solved" to himself and forgot about it.

Yesterday as I watered plants, it occurred to me that I could move the bench planter to the other side of the carport and create a little garden there. One that you would see as you came down the drive. I still had some daylilies and Hosta waiting to be set into the ground, as well as some bulbs. Just as I was about to move the bench, HeWho asked if I had the chain I wanted to use to hang the ferns ......

I told him I had another solution and sent him out for lunch. The daylilies are still in shock from the relocation. They have perked up considerable since I took this picture. The ferns are loving the shade and the Hosta seems happy to be there. See that little pathway in the back? It goes down to the water cut off, then drops steeply to a road below.

Here is a front view. This is what you would see coming down my drive. The daylilies should stand tall behind the bench and pop with yellow. I also scattered impatiens and marigold seed behind the bench. Now I need some hard scape for the front. Stepping stones and either mulch or rock. 


 Another front view. The pink pot is out of place. I will either paint it with the same paint used on the bench or relocate it. It has a vine struggling to survive that needs shade.


This beauty was here when we got here. I don't know that I would have hidden it away by the gas tank. I will wait until fall to dig it up and put in in a more prominent location.


Here we have some Hosta really struggling in the clay on the side of the embankment. I asked for landscape timbers to terrace the plants, but came up with my own solution. I was told that we obtain a truck, HeWho will be more than happy to fetch them. After the picture I added some good soil and Epsom salts mixture. The tiny branches and pine straw managed to keep the new dirt in place. Needs more work today.


Since the branches and pine straw worked in one spot, I employed the same technique here where my steps lead up to my She Shed. The marigold should deter the deer. Geranium works, too, but the marigold were on sale. While landscape timbers would look better, I kind of like my creation.

My fingers are less than nimble after all my efforts. I stepped in an ant bed yesterday and now bear the scars of many bites that hurt and itch. But I am ready to head back outside as soon as I post this!

Comments

  1. There are several larger woven fences around me; bigger versions of your tiny stick fence. I think they are too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to be working to keep the soil in place. I am hoping the plants will stop the erosion into the ditch. Supposed to have a storm tonight. That will be the real test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the woven fence. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to look great as soon as everything gets growing and fills in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bench and ferns look inviting. I know you are in your element with gardening and making your forty acres your retreat. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one acre! I could not do 40 acres again! Though I would love the challenge, I only have so much energy.

      Delete
  6. When we bought this house I was looking for a house on two or so acres. This house is on a half acre but we loved the house and there were about 30 trees of various size including 3 mature pecans, one magnolia, 3 tallows, and two oaks. After we'd been here about 6 months I decided a half acre was plenty to take care of. this time next year your efforts will really be showing off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started out looking for a larger parcel, my budget dictated lowering my expectations. I didn't want a mortgage and I am happy with my choice and my lone acre. Next year will be easier since I am planting perennials and they will be back.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier