Mother's Day on the Mountain


 My carport is running over ... Yesterday was spent driving to a little city that was relatively close. Only 48 miles. Forty-eight miles on a treacherous two-lane road going up and down and switchbacks all along the way. We bought the red truck in the driveway. HeWho got a truck for Mother's Day! I got my car back and I am quite satisfied with that.


A happy sight for me. He asked if I wanted to go to Home Depot today. I didn't. I wanted to play in the dirt, but I did give him a list of necessities for me. There will be mulch and potting soil coming my way! I waved as he drove away, then got my chain saw and went to work on some limbs that seem to have appeared overnight. If you want to be a tree in my yard, you must be willing to succumb to trimming. I am short, but I want to be able to walk under any tree without its lower limbs touching my head.


I had some plants I rescued from Walmart on my last visit. Coral bells said the tag, though I have never seen white ones. They were sad and naked with brown blooms hanging in dry pots. A little extra care and dead-heading later and they are happy. Geez, just water them! Not complaining since I got them cheap. I planted these on the embankment along the driveway.


A longer view, they are further down the drive from the marigold and Iris. I will be laying newspaper and weed control fabric, then mulching this week.



My asparagus fern is coming back. They were both huge and stood about 3 feet tall and hung down another 2 feet over the sides of the pots. They turned completely white and brittle. I was sick about it. My own fault for not lugging them in. I clipped them down to ground level and just watered them and let them be. Looks like they will grow big again.


I made a sort of raised bed out of leftover siding. Planted asparagus and tomatoes. The asparagus won't make anything edible this year, but my tomato plants are blooming. The rosemary and basil smell so good. The other green pot has early peas in it. You can see the "lawn" there. All I can say is that it is green, and I mow it. I have spread some grass seed and have high hopes. I spread seed in the dog yard about 5 weeks ago and it is looking good now.


A problem area is this strip of ground behind the house next to the ravine. I found some Hosta growing from the previous owner and some kind of shrub. I added some more Hosta and some lilies and iris. The peony is blooming and that makes me happy. This will look so much better after I mulch it. I can hardly wait to do this! Some deer have been munching on Hosta plants, so I will be sprinkling in some marigold after the mulching is done.

I have 6 old ice trays planted with various flowers that are coming up. I will be placing the little seedlings here and there. After I put a coat of polyurethane on the little table, I scored at a thrift shop for $6. 

It was wobbly and had a round top on it with a few gouges in it. Diameter was 24" and I was looking for a square table. I used some of my salvaged wood pieces and the table has a sturdy 24" top now. It is sanded and waiting for the poly, then I will trim around the edges. It has a shelf, as well and the printer can sit on it. I currently have a small file cabinet sitting between my loveseats with the printer on top. This table will replace the file cabinet.

Mother's Day has been quite productive thus far and I am not through yet. Just doing what makes me happy today. Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow bloggers!

Comments

  1. It really is looking like home. Thank you for bringing home a Dodge Ram. Nuff said. And happy mother's day to you, my fellow mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The truck is used, of course. Only problem now is finding a spot to park. Any day now, I will see my car sitting outside the carport while the truck has a new home.

      Delete
  2. You will have that mountainside looking like a garden center in no time. Only with healthier plants than a garden center.

    Such a thoughtful gift, your old car back! Much better than the year I got a $3 pink change purse. Or this year's gift: NOTHING! At least The Pony and Genius gave me cards, and The Pony also gave me some scratchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to have my seat stay in the right position and the mirrors, too. He always diddles with the seat belt and puts it in the highest position so that it will choke me. One kid called, two texted and one did nothing at all. I better not come back to haunt that one and see facebook postings wishing me a happy heavenly Mother's Day!!

      Delete
  3. Asparagus ferns are very forgiving and will live forever if you let them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing, because they definitely had a harsh time this year! I lost all 4 of the Boston ferns. No magic come back for them. Bought two at half price to replace them. It is not like I have a huge, long porch on which to hang ferns anymore. This home is more suited to in ground planting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier