Mulching Progress!

 After my success convincing HeWho to remodel the meager storage closet, I was quite smug . Seeing the progress was an impetus for me to complete my mulching project up the hill.


I still have more work to do, but even I think this is impressive! Eight bags of mulch. The picture doesn't do that slope justice! The bags were too heavy to carry up the steps and I was not going to ask for help, lest I stop progress in my closet.

I came up with a method of slinging double handfuls up the slope until the bag was about half full and I could manage to transport it to the top. This worked fine in the areas that had no seedlings. Those areas were trickier and involved balancing on the slope to carefully tuck the mulch around the tender seedlings.


I had to take frequent breaks from the slinging and lugging. During the breaks, I turned my attention to my steps. I pounded some long pegs in to further stabilize them and added more. I gathered rocks and distributed frogs. The hot pink frog was a gift from my daughter that I never displayed at the kampgound, fearing it would "walk" away. It fits perfectly here with those glow-in-the-dark pebbles that emit very little glow. I decided to move all the pine straw to this garden and just go with it instead of bagged mulch.

You might notice that the white peg ends abruptly. Oh, we have the material, HeWho just lost interest. He has a very short attention span. I must be getting old, as it doesn't annoy me as much as it used to. I think I can finish it myself, as long as I don't have a lot of cutting to do.

My next big project will be getting all the debris burned down and my sewing table up. I am at a dead standstill in the She Shed until the sewing table and shelving goes up. I refuse to haul anymore boxes up until I have a place to put things away as I unload. Still haven't found my silverware!


I finished clearing to that big oak tree. I have plans for the area on that slope near the last tiny flower garden. I had to cut more trees. There were some dead ones and some that were so crowded as to stunt the growth, so I did some thinning out. Soon that blue milk can will be on display.

I don't know how others plan their gardens. Mine just sort of evolve over time. Most of the time I can see immediately what I want to do, but there are times when I just have to start before I know where I am going. I started that big swoop that takes up a big portion of space with one plant before I knew what I wanted. The blanket flower will spread over time. I can see it covering a good portion of the mulched in area, but it will take years. I have some annuals that I seeded on the porch tucked in different areas so that the lone plant doesn't look silly all by itself. Soon the zinnia and butterfly plants will get big enough to give it some company.

Meanwhile in lower gardens, the asparagus ferns have been repotted into one and seems to be happier.

Blooms are popping out!


Everywhere! The peony has fully opened. The lilies look scared! They will be fine .... next year.

Comments

  1. Isn't it amazing how much progress you can make when you're not tied to a desk or a phone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing, because working on the sloping grounds is demanding! I misspelled demanding and it corrected to demeaning. Demeaning also applies!

      Delete
  2. You are hell bent on meaningful progress, and it sure shows. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure I can work on the inside when it is too cold to do outside work. I enjoy being outside and the woods around my She Shed are magical. It is so pleasant under the trees with a breeze and the quiet is amazing.

      Delete
  3. Things are really starting to come together. You do good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, don't I? I would never do this as a job, though. There is not enough money to entice me!

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I could partner with Hick and do the outside, while he does the inside of houses! We could have a reality show and you and HeWho could lend witty repartee. Well, you could. The deaf man could just smile and nod in agreement. And now we have a plot for a book .....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made so much progress! My flower beds are not well planned, some planning but I tend acquire things before I know where to put them and end up just sticking them somewhere and see how it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that, too! I bought a clematis last week and now have no idea where I want to put it! I just know I want it here .... somewhere!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Bittersweet

Stories Better Left Untold