Mad At Myself

 No pictures today. It rained all night and all day. Supposed to rain all week. Just as well, I suppose. I can't work outside for the next five days.

My visit with the cardiologist went well, I guess. More questions than answers. My EKG showed PVC's and she was not pleased with my blood pressure. My last check-up with the cardiologist was in tandem with HeWho had the big heart attack and was devoted mostly to him. I was an afterthought and was told my arrythmia was "nothing to worry about". So, I haven't worried about it. That was in St. Louis. Reminded me of pre-natal check-ups. They checked your vitals and weight and asked how you felt, then sent you on your way until the next one. Besides my on-going debate about Lipitor that left the doctor exasperated because I was not compliant and would never be.

This appointment started with an EKG, then a review of all my medications and why I was taking them, as in what did the prescriber say when he/she prescribed them. With my first cardiac event about 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with Atrial Fib and started taking a beta blocker. Other than making me extremely tired, it did little to stop the skipped beats.

When I actually had a heart attack and used the same cardiologist that was treating HeWho tried to die and didn't succeed, he was baffled at my diagnosis and told me that the diagnosis was entirely wrong. I was in the hospital and all the testing was done there, with the chemical stress test being the last one. He was so sure that I was experiencing severe indigestion and the tests would prove that he was right, and I would go home that very day; they brought me a tray of food.

I ate it, unfortunately and had to stay another day because the stress test showed damage to my heart muscle, and they couldn't zip me to the cath lab because I ate. This was March, 2020. The pandemic was beginning and I wanted to be far, far away from the hospital. I had my angiogram the next morning and called my ride (HeWho) to come take me away. Everything was in a hurry. They wanted all patients out as soon as possible. Masks were not in place yet and the one event that irked me the most was the administration employees going from room to room greeting patients and asking about their stay. The young man who entered my room left with red cheeks. He wanted to shake my hand! I admonished him and told him to either don a pair of gloves, or put his hands in his pockets.

So, my new cardiologist just happens to be a woman. Have I said how much better women are at treating patients? All the symptoms I have ignored for the past two years because I was told they were not serious and nothing to worry about are now being investigated. My medications are being reviewed and I know longer feel like I am being lazy when I am too exhausted to do anything. 

I just got the heart monitor to wear for the next 5 days. I can't garden, because I sweat so much it would make the monitor slide off my freshly shaved and abraded chest. My blood pressure is too low and there is no reason for the HCTZ (water pill) since I am not retaining fluids. My blood work is all normal with the exception of the thyroid function and cholesterol. We talked about medication and settled on a low dose of Crestor. The EKG that is routinely done in the doctor's office takes less that 90 seconds and mine showed 2 PVC's. I am scheduled for an ultrasound of my heart muscle next month.

My "normal" heart rhythm is a skipped beat every third beat. When I am really tired it will sometimes skip two beats. That feels really weird, like my heart is in my throat. And all this time, for the past 10 years, I have more or less simply ignored it. Because I listened to my health care provider. And I know better! Am I mad at myself? Yes, I am.


Comments

  1. Glad to hear that you finally have a doctor that can put all the pieces together and get you on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I now know I am not crazy! I have had episodes when I feel like I might die, but simply ignore it. I think this is the reason women do not seek medical help when they need it. I do push back to advocate for my husband, but usually not myself.

      Delete
  2. Good to know that finally you have a doctor who listens to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this doctor and the nurse practitioner at the primary care facility. They seem to be on the same page, and they share test results so that I don't end having to get stuck for blood work twice.

      Delete
  3. Good to know it is all getting sorted out. What is a PVC?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pre-ventricular contraction. Meaning that the ventricle of the heart is skipping in with an extra beat. Feels like a skipped beat and makes the heart muscle work harder. Two chambers of the heart and they would appear to be children fighting over who gets to go first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same problem BUT I found some relief I began taking all OTC remedies, L-Arginine for BP, and CO-Q-10, both from Walmart, and I order from Amazon, HeartBeat made by Nature's Plus. Its a cardiovascular vitamin support, It's 90 tablets for about $15, I take 2 per day of this. My BP is lower, I don't have the arrhythmia's anymore only one every now and then...and I was having them all day long before I went on this combination which I discovered by accident and over a period of time...if you try the Heartbeat and you like it they do offer a direct ship plan where you save money but I just ordered 3 bottles at a time to get the free shipping...It helped me almost immediately...not saying it would do the same for you but I had the heart cath done 5 yrs ago they said I had only a 1/4 block on one artery and did not recommend a stent, and he wanted me to take Lipitor I did not take it,,,I also take a Baby Aspirin every other day. I wore that same monitor and even tho I felt skipped beats all the time they said it was "fine". I don't think they are accurate. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worn the monitor before, as well. I had the feeling I was taking up time reserved for patients with "real" cardiac problems. Our new cardiologist is all about avoiding the prescription drugs and all the side affects. She just put my husband on CoQ10 and was pleased that I was already taking fish oil. I think I will receive a better level of care with her, so doing all the diagnostic tests again doesn't bother me as much. Like you said, I know when I have a PVC, I feel it, so don't tell me it didn't happen! She showed me the EKG strip and pointed out the PVC action. While it is not emergent, over time it will create problems and she wants to avoid that.

      Delete
  6. I've had occasional episodes of irregular heartbeat most my life but in 2017 it really flared up and I went to a (male) cardiologist who ran all the tests including the nuclear stress test, said I came out with flying colors, no blockage or inflammation and totally blew off the rather serious episodes of afib I'd had for two weeks. Then it settled down. A year later it started up again with episodes happening every day and my (female) PC sent me to a cardiologist. I chose a cardiac nurse practitioner because she was the only woman in the cardiac wing. I wore the monitor for 24 hours and she put me on eliquis and another BP med (don't remember what it was) then added digoxin but after 4 months nothing affected the afib so she had me wear the monitor for 3 weeks sending the info to an electrophysiologist before my first appointment with him so he would already have all the info. My first visit he diagnosed me with flutter in the right atria and afib in the left. That was in 2019. He did an ablation to get rid of the flutter and put me on sotolol for the afib which mostly controls it. I could have an ablation for the afib but it's a more serious procedure. The EP says that afib isn't life threatening as long as the threat of stroke is addressed (hence the decoagulent eliquis). I prefer women doctors as a general rule but I do like my EP. It sounds like you have a good doctor now. My nephew-in-law had the same? similar? problem as you. He was often out of breath and tired and had an ablation in the ventricle. An irregular heartbeat, while it may not be life threatening, does make you feel tired. My EP calls it a 'quality of life' condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my records were transferred before my visit, and she noted that my valves were both "leaky". My heart muscle is thickening due to the PVC's being so frequent. The other doctor said nothing about this. Like he thought maybe I wouldn't be able to process all this information, being a mere lay person and not a doctor. I usually wait until they make complete asses of themselves trying to dumb it down to my level before I tell them I am a nurse, as I smile condescendingly at them. But when you are in the midst of pain you have never experienced before and feel quite certain that you need intervention to live, you don't want to be minimized and made to feel that you are an alarmist! I had a heart attack, altho the blood test did not indicate it, the stress test did. When your nurse practitioner calls for an ambulance to take you to the ER because your EKG freaks her out, you don't need to be made to feel like SHE is an alarmist! This is why women ignore symptoms and die of cardiac events. Times have changed and people are more in touch with what is going on. If they aren't, what an excellent opportunity to TEACH THEM!

      Delete
  7. Putting together a competent team is excellent. I hope you are thoroughly sorted! Hearts have never been a problem in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel confident with my current team. If there is something wrong with me, I would rather know and be able to address it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. prefer woman doctor anyday, but I have a little boy with an attitude. We know our own bodies. If only...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy with all the nurse practiners! Amanda is the primary, Meghan is the cardiology, and Susan is the vascular. Bet I wont be as impressed with the man surgeon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Retired!

Bittersweet

Final Chapter!