Lattice and Limbs

 Alas, the mulch was not forthcoming!! Out of stock. He did get the lattice to finish the bottom of the She Shed. That will be today's adventure. I want to clean the gutters, too. The last rainstorm overflowed and I'm certain the gutters need a good mucking out. They are on the side that overlooks the ravine. There is room for a ladder, despite HeWho's revelation that I will fall and roll down the ravine.



I won't, I assure you! I will be safely on the ground keeping the ladder stable while HeWho cleans out the gutter. How do I know this? Because I will get the ladder set up where he can easily see me, then start to climb up the ladder. I will be about half-way when he will appear and order me down. Like a good and obedient wife (snicker, snort) I will come down and let him take over.

When we purchased the property, I was told by the master of the house that there would be no renovations, none, absolutely none! I meekly agreed, knowing full well I was going to make some changes. First was the hideous light diffuser on the kitchen ceiling covering not one, not two, but three fluorescent fixtures. The industrial kind, aka, ugly. The kitchen is still a work in progress.

Next were the built-in night tables in the bedroom that had to go to make enough room for my king size bed. I am still hunting a suitable replacement, and, in the meantime, I have a set of the skinny plastic drawers on wheels there. Not pretty but will do for now.

You may recall my method of planting ideas, then watching as they become the ideas of HeWho. I have always though that we should include most of the screened porch into our living area. While it is living area in nice weather, it will get cold again. I haven't mentioned in in quite some time, but I overheard him telling his sister that we will be closing in the screens with windows because we need the space!!

This didn't take as long as some of my ideas to become his. I must be getting better at it. I can hardly wait. The dogs are equally excited. Well, Eddie is. His steps up to the couch keep getting shoved to the side. Cujo refuses to use them, preferring to make me pick him up. Toni and Bo are good jumpers and don't need assistance. Bo will sometimes use them, but only to irritate Eddie. He is fun like that.

Time to head up the drive to my She Shed and numerous flower beds. I suppose I will have to make do with leaves and such for mulch. The leaves are partially decomposed, and I know they have lots of weed seeds lurking in them. Hopefully mulch will be restocked, and I can simply rake the leaves away.

 As I ran out of energy, I sat on the ground and pulled pine straw from limbs cut last week. The dappled sunlight did not reach me, and a nice breeze cooled me down. This was my view from where I sat. Fun fact: it is easier to get back up to your feet when sitting on an incline!


 My goal is to clear to the big oak in the upper right side. I almost made it today. I still need to pull out the vines and underbrush I cut. I have two piles you can see. Stripped down limbs and the other pile has thorny vines and such that will need to be burned.

I have 10 Hosta plants in a semi-circle mid-photo. Next year they will maintain their status and the next year they will start spreading and make a huge mound that will eliminate a place for weeds to take over. I am looking forward to that. 

Tomorrow will be another adventure, maybe laundry?

Comments

  1. It is really all starting to come together nicely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. It is also a lot of work! I have learned to set small goals.

      Delete
  2. Progress! Especially incorporating the porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to that, also dreading it! I don't think our ideas will be on the same page. He would be content to staple plastic over the screens and throw some rugs on the floor. I will insist on actual windows and insulation and flooring. He would be happy to leave the sliding doors and windows in place, while I will want them removed and replace with walls and openings to the new room.

      Delete
  3. The lattice looks great! I'm digging in my heels so I don't slip down that slope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slope is impressive, but I am learning to navigate better each day.

      Delete
  4. For a minute I thought you meant clear away the oak tree, then I realised you meant the scrubby stuff under and around it. The lattice looks great. glassing in the porch will be a bonus in the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only trees coming down are damaged or dead. Now that all the trees have foliage, it is looking lush and green up there. When I finally finish, I will be able to see my She Shed through the trees.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier