I Might Be A Redneck With A Flatbed Trailer In My Front Yard


 Standing outside Walmart, waiting for my ride, I looked into the horizon and thought, "What a lovely view." So, I took the picture. I have no idea what those people coming in thought. HeWho came up in the red truck and I continued looking off in the distance. I am not used to the red truck yet and was expecting my car. We needed to come in the truck to get the mulch.


I was still enchanted with the mountains on the way home. I was happy about my mulch and the plants lining the floor of the backseat. But I was in a reflective mood.

Yesterday we had the ravine weed whacked and I was working all day on my vegetable "garden". It was difficult to decide where to put it. I need sun and the "back" yard is not ideal. Who wants crops in the front yard? The carport takes up a good portion of the front and creates shade. Plus, the new vehicle had not found a good parking place.

Being the thoughtful and generous soul that I am, I offered to let the truck park in the carport. We were already planning to take the flatbed trailer up the embankment and park it at the end of the She Shed. HeWho wanted to put it behind the She Shed. I vetoed that idea. You saw the slope and all the trees. Why would I want him to navigate a tricky area where I have labored for quite some time. I pointed out that it would be difficult to access the trailer if we needed to use it. At the end of my shed, sure it would be visible, but out of the way. Settled, right?

We were waiting for the truck to pull the trailer to its new spot and the truck is here. I suggested that HeWho move the trailer and I would get the spot where the trailer was mowed and ready for my car.


Imagine my surprise when I walked up my drive later in the day and saw this! When I asked why he placed the trailer where he placed it, his answer was, "That was as far back as I could get it." I counted to ten and in a deadly calm voice asked him what he meant. He said that I wanted it behind my She Shed. I told him we discussed it at length, and he swears that I insisted that it go behind the shed. Look close, and you can see that he just missed a new bed of flowers. Of course this is what I wanted, a whimsical garden and a flatbed trailer in front of my She Shed.

I am still annoyed that he didn't bother to listen initially and continues to listen sporadically. We came home, unloaded the groceries and plants. What you can't see in the picture is the tire marks that dug up the "grass" as he tried to pull the trailer back up before he just left it there.

It began to rain, so of course we decide to move the trailer. HeWho was hoping the weight of the mulch in the back of the truck would help him be able to pull the trailer back up the slope. It did.


As you can see it looks much better now. I am excited to spend tomorrow spreading mulch. That garden bed will be enlarged to go down alongside the steps and into the tiny bed of flowers. Same on the other side to create a half moon shape. It will be a little sparse this year, but next year it will get filled in with the annual seed I gather in the fall.

Comments

  1. I am envious of the mountain view, and Hick would be envious of the trailer. Heh, heh. I can imagine how HeWho thought that trailer was perfectly acceptable, parked in front of your SheShed. You could have gotten an extra workout, not only climbing that hill, but scampering over the trailer coming and going from your SheShed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be scampering of me over trailers! The view from my bedroom window is Brass Mountain. So peaceful when I take a nap and gaze out the window. Now HeWho is chattering about a boat to fish in. Not in the creek, but Chatuge Lake that is close by. He has been told he will have to have a parking spot BEFORE he gets another anything!

      Delete
  2. I know plenty of people who planted crops in the front yard because that's where the sun is better. I've seen garden beds filled with feathery green carrot tops backed by trellises of green beans and tubs of tomatoes either end. Front and back yards with fruit trees on the western side so the hot afternoon summer sun doesn't burn the vegetable beds. (in Australia a hot afternoon sun can crispify almost everything not shaded) Often the vegetable beds have flowers growing in them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My make-do containers are not attractive in the least. I am not opposed to growing vegetables in the front yard, but it will involve some nice, raised bed planting boxes.

      Delete
  3. You know, even if you draw them a picture.. and they really hear about half of what we say. Or is it they only listen to part of what we say? Your new home is coming along nicely. I just picked up flowers at Walmart. I'll give it another try. Last year they drowned when we had so much rain, so i bought silk flowers. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we looked at the campground so many years ago, there were two trough-like planting boxes facing each other at the entrance full of bright flowers .... plastic flowers. I tossed those and proceeded to create many happy live gardens.

      Delete
  4. When I was a very young mother in a very nice rented home in a nice suburb, my next door neighbor planted vegetables in every flower garden around the house. "My kids can't eat roses!" She had four of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that you can't eat roses! Like I told River, there will be vegetables in my front yard, but it will be a series of identical raised bed boxes in an interesting configuration! This will be a necessity for HeWho to have a boat!

      Delete
  5. What is it with men. Even the ones who have lived with the same woman for so long, parking the trailer in front of your shed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier