Running Water, Part Two

 No running water is a bit of an inconvenience. Sunday had me more than a little annoyed. I couldn't wash Eddie. Eddie's allergies that result in an itching rash are back. I already have medicated shampoo on hand, and I was going to bathe him and apply the RX to his rash. I decided to quickly wash the accumulation of dishes first. Discovered the absence of running water.

The well is a shared well and we pay a nominal fee annually for this. Meaning the repair is not our responsibility. You have no idea how very happy my HeWho plumbs is about this. He did call the party responsible and was unable to make contact until midafternoon. We are pretty patient about such issues, having been the responsible party for such issues for the last 18 years.

HeWho knows about wells and switches did go out to the access point and test the switches and everything he could think of, then went with the one responsible to the well. The switch was not the problem. The responsible party decided to replace it anyway. It was definitely NOT the problem and today they are pulling the pump to replace it. A costly repair and one you don't want to hear if you are the responsible party.

Think of all the things you can't do without water. I longed to simply wash my hands. Since I couldn't very well plant without water, I decided to tackle the tool shed of HeWho is allergic to organization.

I started this project on Saturday while pondering garden plots, as I am very adept at multi-tasking. The main reason I started was to be able to actually enter the shed to get to the shelving I need to build my sewing table in my She Shed. I can think and work at the same time. I am loathe to do anything half-way, such as just shift the contents to get what I want.

HeWho should have been more interested in getting things organized did hang the pegboard for me and I took it from there. He wanted to just throw peg hooks on the board all willy-nilly and hang stuff in a wasteful-of-space fashion. I excused him (told him to leave) and worked all day, doing loads of laundry, preparing food, and taking out dogs in between. All the while planning placement of plants in my head. I re-created my plastic hanging bottles of nails, screws, and all manner of parts. You may now stand and look at the display to find exactly what you might be looking for. From there I scooped up the busted bag of concrete mix and put it in a plastic container, then relocated it to a spot against a wall and out of the actual doorway. That was an unpleasant task.

You can walk into his shed now and most everything is hanging up and out of the way. There are some stored pieces of furniture that will be easier to remove when the time comes. Did he appreciate my efforts? I am sure he did, he said he did, but he also said he would have "gotten to it".

I just heard the happy sound of running water in my sink!! After I wash my hands, I am heading out to water plants, while a load of laundry is running, then dishes and a casserole for tonight. My She Shed awaits my attention. I am determined to build my sewing table TODAY! 

Comments

  1. I was worried a new well might be needed. Been there, done that. Glad it wasn't the case for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we are not responsible for the well, I wasn't as worried as I might have been. We had to replace the pump twice in the well at the campground. That is expensive enough, not to mention the mess the big equipment used to pull the pump up. There is a lot of water cascading down from the mountain, so I was pretty confident that the well had not gone dry.

      Delete
  2. It's a thankless task, organizing a He-Shed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, for you, you have never been called upon to take over that task for Hick! No matter, since I actually enjoy organizing things and I am good at it. Must be all those years of merchandising fabric stores. I learned a lot from that, but my Dad was a master at organization, so it must be inbred in me.

      Delete
  3. Glad you have water again, I hate being without it myself. We occasionally have the water turned off when major plumbing works are underway. I wouldn't mind so much if they would just tell us beforehand that the water will be off for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being without water or electricity brings out the worst in people. Every single thing you think to do involves one or the other. We are all spoiled, in that we expect to have it available at all times. Another reason I would like some solar panels and a rain catchment system here. I had three rain barrels at the campground that captured the water that was fed from the roof to the gutters. I used that water mainly for my gardens, but it could be used to flush the toilet in a pinch. Could also be filtered to drink if necessary. We have a dispenser for the big 5-gallon jugs that we fill at Walmart with filtered water and always have two on hand. My dogs drink filtered water to avoid bladder stones, one of my dogs' bladders burst and was full of stones that were sent for analysis. The minerals in the well water were the culprit. It is easier to just buy filtered water than to pay for emergency surgery. We will put a filter system in here eventually. We didn't at the campground because our well serviced the entire park and we would have gone broke replacing filters!

      Delete
  4. Of course you had to do it. It's a rare man who isn't worthless after a certain age I think. I was out of commission for three days and while the husband took very good care of me, the house/kitchen is another matter entirely. Kitchen waste container full and another bowl next to it as well not taken out to the compost pile, counters and stove top not wiped off. He did fill and run the dishwasher though. Glad you have water again. I've never heard of a shared well. Do you get a discount for the two or three days you were without water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No discount offered. These things happen. The funniest part was when Fred (the man in charge of the well because the other two parcels belong to him and he rents them out) offered to hike down to the creek and bring us a bucket of water. He was not on this well and he had water. Why would he go down the ravine to get the water when he could easily fill a bucket with his hose! We only pay $300 annually, so it would equate to less than a dollar a day.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Retired!

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth