Orange Flowers For HeWho

 

Our recent trip to Walmart found me outside in the rain picking through the clearance area in the garden center. I scored petunias and those happy daisies. HeWho wandered out to find me and on the way, he found the lilies. Actually, he called them orange flowers, having no idea what they were. I was hesitant because they were not on sale but was easily talked into them.

Decided to just use the pine straw for mulching purposes since it is right here on my property. More about that later. The colorful pebbles claim to glow in the dark. I scattered them among the dianthus, but I am far too tired to hike up my drive to see if it is true. 

I planted HeWho's orange flowers this evening. I asked where he wanted them, and he chose the area along the driveway. I need more straw. Lots of it.

I made my way up my driveway planting the day lilies I bought last week. I still have a bucket half full waiting to be put in the ground. Look up my drive and you will see a pile of limbs and such waiting to be burned or disposed of. Look closely and you will see pine limbs with straw on them. I will not burn this until I harvest the straw and carefully tuck it around my plants. Time consuming, you ask? Of course it was, but it was free! 

I know I will end up buying more straw or mulch. I found lots of rocks to pack around my steps. So much work to be done. It won't happen overnight, but I have plenty of time on my hands. 

Iris plants here. I swear it looks more like onions! They are struggling but will probably be in bloom next year. I am hoping for another load of rock to fill in the ditch by my driveway. I am hoping to fill in the slope with plants. The iris and lilies will start to spread and in the meantime, I will toss marigold seed along the slope.

So, as I was happily working on my slope, listening to an audio book, I heard the mower start and soon HeWho was riding up the drive. He decided to mow while I was gardening. I could no longer hear my book, so I turned it off and busied myself moving stuff out of his way. He hit some bare spots several times and filled the air with fine particles of dirt that fell into the water he had so thoughtfully brought to me.

He finished the "grass" around the She Shed and decided to move the very narrow strip on the other side of the drive. That was annoying but took no time at all. When I next looked up, the man had decided to mow the driveway next to ours. Why? I don't know! I went on about my business and heard the mower turn off. I looked over to the next drive and the mower was at an odd angle and HeWho was not on it. I yelled out asking if he was okay.

No answer. While I stood debating with myself on whether to go down the steps or walk up further so I could look down at the next drive which is a lot steeper than my drive, He stood up and asked me to help him look for his glasses and hearing aid.

This required walking up the rest of my drive and then down the next drive with mincing little steps to keep from falling forward down this drive. He located his glasses before I got there. The mower was bogged down into the ditch and HeWho was searching for the hearing aid that he swears works fine (but doesn't). I joined him in the search and asked where he found his glasses, thinking the hearing aid should be close by. "Here, but that (pointing) is where I fell off the mower."

I found it and he got the mower out of the ditch and went on to mow our portion of the meadow. I wondered if I should have gone with him. Do they even make two-seater mowers? Is this a diabolical scheme to suck the pleasure of gardening from my life? Times like this I miss the campground and all my trusty keepers of HeWho!


Comments

  1. I remember keeping my youngest daughter on a leash. Probably won't work for HeWho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it probably wouldn't. But he doesn't walk fast and never runs, the only way for him to get away from me is on wheels.

      Delete
  2. I would love to see a picture of glowing pebbles. Even if you have to do nothing for a whole day, and hike up to get a picture in the evening! I might forget about the pebbles, though, because now I've got an image in my head of a lawnmower built for two! It's good that HeWho was not injured in his topple from the mower, and that both the glasses and hearing aid were recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for all the good that hearing aid does. I was secretly hoping we would have to visit an audiologist and get a new set, but that didn't happen. Did I ever tell you about his first set of hearing aids and how he got them? Remember his part time towing gig? There was a wreck with a fatality and when they towed in the car, they found the hearing aids in the seat. Yes, he did. kind of like Hick's used C-PAP. They really are akin!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad I can't smell those lilies, I am so allergic, even one good sniff will bring on a migraine. I hope the marigold seeds grow though, I love those. I'm glad HeWho is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am allergic to tree pollen and grass pollen, but no species of flowers, for which I am very thankful! This time of year finds me with a pending headache nearly every day. I take Zyrtec, Singulair, and Flonase. Most of the time that will suffice, but some really bad days calls for double doses. Fortunately, HeWho just fell into the shallow ditch.

      Delete
  4. It's going to look really lovely when all those lilies and such spread out. My double orange daylilies did not bloom at all last year because of the arctic vortex that sat on us for about 2 weeks. I hope they bloom this year but not seeing any scapes yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to the third year after planting, that is when perennials take off and spread like crazy. Nothing quite so fun as an established garden to bring you nice surprises every day of Spring. We got hit with a late freeze, too. I had two absolutely gorgeous asparagus ferns in big pots that were about 5' in dimeter and just as tall. They turned white and I clipped them down to the root line. I left them out just in case they might survive by some miracle. I noticed little shoots coming up about 3" long. Made me happy!

      Delete
  5. When those flowers are in full bloom you're going to have a show case of beauty. Good thing he wasn't on top the hill and fell. Few weeks from now, you will be sitting on the porch admiring your land and gardening will pay off. Glowing rocks? I'd have to bring some closer to witness the glow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pebbles were found online. Multicolored they look like they came from a child's toy that spilled on the ground. I hiked up the hill last night in the dark. They do glow, but not much. I won't be buying more. I had pictured dropping them along the path through my woods to my She Shed, but they wouldn't get enough sun to charge them during the day.

      Delete
  6. they look like the pebbles often found in tropical fish aquariums, where the glow of the lamp gives them enough light to be able to glow at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I bought were advertised for gardens, but I can see that working in tanks, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier