Just Another Day

 

Here you can see my infamous fire. The flames reaching out to engulf the trees beyond were easy enough to tame after the main part was just smoldering. It was quite impressive with the middle producing flames about 5' high. Next time the hose will go up with me.

This is the "after" scene right behind my She Shed.

This is the "before". Years of dead leaves and straw, broken branches litter the ground. Easy to step in a hole unknowingly. I tend to like solid ground.

I will need to take more pictures, as that is just a very small area that is cleared. I want the path to and from the She Shed to be easy to traverse. I was intent on clearing just a path, then planting flowers among the trees. But I got carried away. Didn't Donald Trump say we should be "sweeping" our forest floors to discourage fires?

Anyhoo, I didn't like walking on a carpet of leaves hiding drop off holes as I was planning my gardens. This would be the point when the task became overwhelming. I was intent on raking all the debris into the ditch by our driveway and lighting a fire there. This worked really well, as the ditch contained the flames. The last fire was up on the embankment in a clearing. I could see evidence that the previous owner had used that area for a fire at some point. I had raked a huge pile there and out of energy to rake it to the edge and over.

It is coming together, though slower than I like. Neither one of us is brimming with energy! I have boxes yet to be unpacked and a She Shed to organize. But what else looms large on my to-do list? It is not like I have a job to get to daily. 

Here's hoping the temperature continues to rise today and I can devote a few hours to gardening. The weather has been chilly for the past few days .... I could always start a fire!

Comments

  1. Oh this post evoked images of me as a child watching my grandpa light a oile of leaves in the gutter at the curb. I could almost SMELL your post. You are going to be all set, soon and then reap t the benefitsof your planting and fixing up. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take your time. You have plenty of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joanne, you have time now, take it slow. Did you ever find your silverware?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our burn pile is about as tall as me and I have a truckload full of downed branches that I don't want to add until I burn what's already piled up but we're in a burn ban because of this incessant high wind. Like Joanne says, you have plenty of time now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Bittersweet

Stories Better Left Untold