Carport Has Arrived

 

The carport is here! It is massive. Until we parked the RV and the car, it looked massive! Later we plan to enclose it. In the meantime, our vehicles are protected. We were hoping to be able to fit the flatbed trailer in it, but that didn't happen. Seemed bigger in our minds!

The men who put it all together were like monkeys! I saw two of them standing on the very top of their ladders to put the roof on! The ladders were not even on level ground. Right behind the sheds is the sheer drop of the ravine. They also walked along the rafters. I couldn't watch!

I spent this morning cleaning the area on the far side of the carport. I clipped and pulled underbrush and raked leaves and piled it all up. I noted a few dead trees that will need to be cut down. There are thick vines growing up some of the trees. When I say thick, I mean the size of my forearm! I clipped down all those thorny vines that plague the area and small trees that will never grow very large. I might plant my sycamore tree here.

I brought two sycamore saplings and about 14 maples with me. I planted one sycamore up near the She Shed and 4 maples along the drive. It was actually 12 maples. I put them in groups of three and braided them. I did this last spring and now the roots are intertwined. I am looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

A huge storm blew through last night and the power went out for some time. Being used to the fan that HeWho has blowing all night, sleep was difficult. The day dawned bright and sunny, and I am on my way out to play in the dirt!

Comments

  1. It looks massive, but it also looks like a big wind could haul it off like my daughter's trampoline did. How is it anchored down? You are sure making yourselves at home on that mountain. What a fun time in your lives to start anew and not have to deal with daily doo doo, other than doggies'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three-foot spikes were driven into the ground beneath it every few feet. It feels really solid. I tried to shake it and it did not waver. We have had some strong winds come through and it withstood those. We are at home. Now that all the outdoor structures are up, I can start to create the landscape around them.

      Delete
  2. It looks HUGE! You could play some music (surely the dogs would sing along) and hold dances under there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, the dogs would join in and then everyone would leave!! HeWho would be leading the exodus. There is a certain note that Bo hits that is spine-tingling. HeWho claims it hurts his ears. Bo and I rather enjoy our unique alone time. No dances, though. We filled that area up entirely! We discovered we could have gone with a shorter option by one foot. Our RV isn't as tall as HeWho claimed, but men are often wrong about the length and width of objects, don't you think?

      Delete
  3. My question, too. How is it anchored?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also wonder how it is anchored? it is a decent size and looks nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am wondering if the slats on the roof are wood or metal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister got a carport a few months ago but hers was installed on grass and it was anchored with long metal coils/screws and then a few hurricane straps. Yours look like it's placed on concrete so yeah, how did they anchor it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ours is on rock, but the rock here is granite and really stable. They used 3' stakes into the rock. Several storms later it is holding steady. The shed is on blocks nd the weight should hold it steady, but we bought an anchoring kit anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does look mighty huge, but like you say, our minds can make things seem larger than they are (like how far our money will go haha). I cannot imagine such large vines on the trees! Wow! It's all looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the carport, the breeze can blow through and it provides shade. Also makes me feel quite small.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth