Melancholy Day

 Not all of my plants survived the wintery weekend. It got down to 15 here. The plants in the ground were okay, but those in pots turned to mush. I brought some inside and they are okay, but some I just put on the porch due to lack of space. Lesson learned. 

Never wasteful, I dumped the dead plants and their soil into the strawberry bed. I needed more soil there anyway. Now I need to choose the location for my asparagus. I was waiting for the gravel delivery, and it came this morning. Tomorrow it will be leveled and spread for the carport and driveway extension. I will wait until it is done. No need to tempt the men to drive over my new plant beds!!

A neighbor warned us not to put out bird feeders and tempt the bears to snack in our yard. I forgot to ask about hummingbirds. This makes me sad; I love birds flying around in my yard. I planted blackberry and blueberry bushes, now I wonder if the bears will be attracted to those. I put them on the side of the house by the ravine. Every time HeWho notices me over there, he yells at me. He thinks I will fall down into the ravine. There is plenty of space to walk carefully and I am not an idiot or a daredevil.

We are slowly filling the She Shed with She Shed stuff. Today the sofa bed will be moved there and reassembled. My sewing table will be put together, as well. I spent the morning on the phone, still looking for my loveseat legs. It has been a week and I am running out of patience. I can order legs from Amazon, but they come in 4 packs, and I will need 2 of them. About $60 and Walmart will reimburse me, but they won't match. I doubt anyone would notice except me. But I would know, and it would annoy me every day.

I haven't been sleeping well and when I do sleep, I dream. Snippets of my dreams visit me on and off all day. Melancholy is the only word to describe my feelings. My Daddy was in a dream last night and when I got up this morning, I tried to call my sister. I totally forgot that she was gone. It hit me all at once that I will never talk to her again. Putting that in words makes me even sadder. Time to cuddle dogs and go tend some plants.

Comments

  1. It reminds me of thinking I must call my mother. Perhaps from the SheShed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day my sister died I wanted to call my Dad so bad!!

      Delete
  2. I think melancholy happens when a person is in a holding pattern, can't do this because of that, can't do something else because of whatever and so on. It's sad about the bird feeders, you'll have to make do with eagle or hawk sightings I guess. once things are in place and you can get to work on the garden beds I think you may feel better. Non-matching legs? Paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not opposed to painting legs, I paint everything if it suits me, it was more about the fact that no one seemed to want to address the lack of good customer service. I have ordered the new legs, ironically from Walmart.

      Delete
  3. That's too bad about the bears. When we were living in Arizona, we could not put out seed feeders. The birds would scatter the seeds on the ground, the pack rats would come for the seed, which would encourage the rattle snakes. So, hummingbird feeders it had to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we lived at the campground, I had birds everywhere. They nested on the front porch, and I was able to watch them hatch and hold the tiny naked babies. Killdeer nest one the ground and I could hold them and make friends with the mother bird. I like to interact with nature, but I don't see me holding hands with Mama Bear!

      Delete
  4. Kathy--Bribe HeWho with five minute fudge. 1 bag of milk chocolate chips, I cup (a half bag) of semi-sweet choc. chips and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. Stir. Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes at 50% power. Stir. Nuke another 2 1/2 minutes at 50% power. Take out and stir. Add a splash of vanilla or almond extract or Rumchata or orange extract, etc. Pour out onto some parchment paper until it's hardened. (It's foolproof, and you can dole it out a little at a time for numerous bribes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate will do it for him! I will use your excellent recipe and make it in a half batch size. Plain vanilla for HeWho lacks a sense of adventure!!

      Delete
  5. Bears eat birdseed? As for the loveseat legs, put the two that don't match on the back, then you won't see them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth