Dora, The Adorable Turtle Grows


Remember Dora, the adorable turtle. That is a dollar coin next to her. You might recall that she was found in the murky winter water of the pool last year, about this time and was the size of a quarter.



 I could hold her between my thumb and fingers easily. She now fills most of my palm. She is still adorable and has quite the personality. She eats reptile food that comes in little pellets. She used to grab one in her mouth, then struggle to break it in half with a foot. Now she just grabs it and eats it. She likes these tiny, dried shrimps on some days and some days will disdain them and let them fall to the bottom of her tank. Her favorite food is mealworms. Smelly little things that are long and she will only take them from my fingers! She climbs to the top of her little stone cave and reaches her head up to my hand and with her mouth wide open she snatches it from me.

My tulips have begun to bloom! They are in a tiny garden next to the porch of our house.


Inside the She Shed. I am making very slow progress. We managed to get the loveseat up the driveway in the back of the golf cart. It was still in two pieces, the frame of the couch and the inner mechanism that holds the mattress; so, really three pieces. This is how I hurt my back. The couch went in easily enough, but the inner frame was a terror. I was holding up my end and inching along backwards on the down slope when I stepped into a hollow and had to twist to keep my grip. 

I took the next day off and cleaned house. The next day I climbed the ladder to the loft on the other side and put all the space bags with winter clothing up there. Everything going up there is in bags, hoping to keep mice at bay. Following a tip from blogger Linda, I have peppermint spray on hand. Mothballs were the go-to in the campground, but I prefer to smell good things! I also have some of those plug-ins that deter pests. They won't help much until I get some power.

Today is rainy and we have appointments with a primary care facility. After that we will head to Walmart to fill our 5-gallon water jugs and get dog treats! We are out of dog treats!! Oh, the angst on the furry faces. I will visit the garden center, of course!!

Things are moving along here on the mountain side.

Comments

  1. Dora is growing like a weed! An adorable weed, of course. The She Shed looks much bigger from the inside. We have those plug-in things, and the only kind of pest I've seen are the insect kind, an occasional spider or cricket. That baby mole a few years ago doesn't count, since we don't have a plug-in down in Hick's workshop. I suppose they work. I wonder if they ever wear out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wondered if the plug thingies will lose their effectiveness. Like the pests will acquire an immunity! Dora is growing. I looked for an aquarium yesterday at Walmart, but they only had kits with accessories I didn't want, as I don't plan to fill it with water. I want to put a "pool" inside it and create a space for her to explore with some grass and rocks. I don't mind cleaning her water every other day. I use it to water my plants, seems turtle poop is good fertilizer!

      Delete
  2. Your turtle baby is so cute!
    Dang! Sorry you wrenched your back. but that she shed is goingt o be nice when finished. Oh and those tulips are going to make your house looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back has rested enough to get back at it! I still have to empty the tiny shed and get the contents up to my shed. I am hoping I will find some misplaced boxes in there, still looking for my silverware!!

      Delete
  3. I saw a very similar shed advertised as a tiny house. It even had a clever staircase up to the loft area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mention a staircase to HeWho, he just looked at me and left the building.

      Delete
  4. Dora is growing well :)
    I think the shed looks smaller from the inside, but will probably look bigger once you get everything squared away. Sorry to hear about your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interior is looking very crowded and disorganized right now. It will take me some time to get things better placed. Dora is growing faster than I thought she would.

      Delete
  5. Dora is sounding like a demanding teenager with her snatch and grab act. I’m sure she’ll grow out of it…..if she carries on growing the way she is will she need a larger tank/home?
    Here’s hoping you’ll get your back sorted so the shed can be sorted sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora does need a new home. I am looking every time I go out. I want an aquarium that can have a wet area and a dry area for her to explore. She seems to have doubled her size in one year, so next year I will be looking to house her outside, fenced in, of course.

      Delete
  6. Dora the Painted Turtle! She's growing quickly! We have loads of this type of turtle in Kansas. When my brother and I were little, we'd find them in our parents' gardens... usually munching away on the veggies that were growing. Tomatoes and cucumbers seemed to be the favorite snacks lol. But, alas, mama would never let us keep one. She always made dad "walk it down the alley and let it go." I always wondered if it was the same one that kept coming back haha. So very sorry for your wrenched back! Hope you feel better soon! And oh my, no doggy treats! I can just imagine how that did set well with them. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was supposed to be "didn't set well" ... too fast typing finger syndrome lol.

      Delete
    2. So far, Dora is not interested in vegetables. I tried shredded lettuce, but she ignored it. She seems to favor those smelly meal worms. She "bit" my finger yesterday. It was interesting. Her teeth felt like the tiniest serrated knife blade. She has a strong jaw, but it didn't hurt or break my skin. Dog treats have been restored and all is well in the canine world.

      Delete
  7. Once Dora gets bigger be careful feeding her. I hand feed big mama but she doesn't always distinguish between the food and my fingers. She hasn't bitten me yet because once she zooms in I let the piece of fruit or whatever go and pull my fingers out of the water. Your shed is great. My daughter and SIL bought one that size and wired it, insulated it, sheetrocked it. It serves as an extra bedroom when needed but mostly as a place for my SIL to display his hot wheels collection and various other toys like his lego kits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very aware that Dora is still a baby, else I would have moved my finger! I train my puppies by biting back, but that won't work with her! We will be insulating my shed, beginning with the wall my sewing machine will be on, with a peg wall to hold notions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth