I Can't Hear You

Life is different with retirement. Today we went grocery shopping. Together. This is usually a one-person event for me. I like to take my time and meander through the aisles, never knowing when I might see something I want to consider. You can also run into some bargains this way. I talk to myself, and answer questions other shoppers pose when looking for a specific item. I can usually direct them.

I do not mind the intrusion of others so much, it's not like I will become their best friend and confidante and I can collect fodder for my blog. I enjoy my solitary task. HeWho wanted to push the cart. I like to push the cart. We ended up with two carts. Then he rushed me. I do not like being rushed when I am shopping. Does he suddenly think me incapable of doing this task alone? 

I have a painful abscess on my gum next to the lasted root canal and crowned tooth. Since the root canal eliminated the nerves in the tooth, I knew it wasn't the tooth itself. I am blessed with an exemplary power of reasoning. I think it comes with insomnia and having so much time to ponder the mysteries of the universe. Last night was particularly bad. I was up at 3 am searching for Ambesol, or clove oil or anything to bring relief so I could sleep.

We do have those items .... somewhere. Probably in an unlikely box packed by HeWho abhors labels. I took some Tylenol and lay down again, but it hurt less with me in an upright position. I can see the big lump on my gum, and I pressed it as hard as I could stand with my finger, hoping the relief that came with me removing my finger would last long enough to get to sleep. I do not recommend this.

Finally, I made some salt water with boiling water and held it by my gum as long as I could stand. It helped. I don't know what time I finally slept, but Bo got me up at 7, as usual. But I went back to bed until 9:30.

As Cujo may have mentioned, the $75 legs came to the bed. Fortunately, I found the legs in a plastic drawer with the underwear of HeWho. I don't know what made me look there. It was not a need for his underwear. We muscled the bed into our room after we muscled the queen mattress and box springs and frame to the spot I had allocated in a shed. The base of our bed is heavy. Determination helped me shoved that sucker down the short hallway and into the bedroom.

When we gained access to look at the interior of the house the first time, I measured the areas on either side of the queen bed. A king is only 6" wider, or so I thought. An adjustable bed is considerably wider than 6". This I now know. HeWho was not happy with me. He kept saying, "You said you measured!" I would apologize and he would say it again. We tried to make it work by removing the top of the built-in nightstand on one side, thinking the overhang on each side would allow enough room.

It didn't. He ended up taking the entire night stand out on his side. He was complaining about the loss of storage (they are not that big). On and on he complained until I finally said that we could just bring the queen bed back in and he could have his storage, or we could have a king bed and I would come up with a solution for the storage, that we should just remove both night tables and put floating shelves in.

Ever the martyr, he insisted on leaving my nightstand and did without on his side. If he thinks I feel bad for him, he is wrong. There is a cabinet above the nightstands on either side and this is where he was supposed to put his hearing aids and their charger ..... on the shelf in the cabinet. He is not careful about, well, pretty much anything. This is how Bo was able to eat the ear bulbs to his hearing aids, they were in the floor.

I have no guilt feelings about that either. But we hired people to move so that we would not have to do the heavy lifting. They were in a hurry and would not have waited for the night table to be taken out for sure.

The bed leaves only enough room on each side to walk, more like slide against the wall sideways. It is worth it not to be crowded while I sleep!

Hopefully the hearing aid parts will be here soon. In the meantime, I am repeating EVERY word I say and not just every other word. It made shopping today extra stressful. Mostly I pretended I couldn't hear him, since that seems to work so well for him!  

 

Comments

  1. That's the worst part about tandem shopping, they want to push the cart! Glad you each had your own. On my last shopping trip (the first since I was sprung from my 4-day hospitalization), Hick was along just in case I felt faint. He at least let me push the cart, but he put everything in the bottom, including the BREAD, instead of in the child seat where the fragile things should go. I tried to tell him, but gave up to save my energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is it that they have lived with us so long and still do not know things? HeWho insisted on using the self check out and even though I did my very best, he still mixed the cold and frozen items with shelf stuff. I try to explain, but I just wasted my breath!

      Delete
  2. I hope you are sorted, soon. So pleased the special bed is up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that your bed is ready for occupancy. HeWho needs to get out and meet some other men to hang with so he stops getting in your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, we have only interacted with the ladies at the bank. I keep sending him on errands, but he comes home with no friends!

      Delete
  4. Oh the trials of ‘the togethernesses’ that having someone tag along on a trip to the supermarket. The Golfer either wants to push the trolley at full speed leaving me wandering along behind like a little lost lady or he wander the aisles returning every now and again arms full of stuff I would never pick up….why don’t we try this - that - or the other - he knows why, because I know he will it on his plate uneaten….been there done that but he’s forgotten.
    Anyway it’s good to hear you’re settling in slowly and good to hear The Bed is now in the bedroom where it belongs. Happy Dreams šŸ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you have your bed, but can't imagine having so little space either side. I've got 80cm on one side of my bed and just over 100cm on the other side, but I can't center the bed because then the wardrobe doors can't open all the way. I have only a king single bed, slightly smaller than a double bed. I'd prefer a queen, but don't really need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I measured and we have 9 inches on either side. I found some 8 inch wide plastic drawer sets and they now flank the bed. Soon as I uncover the chop saw and some space to use it, I will be covering them with a one-sided and topped wood frame. The closets and drawers are on the wall facing the bed, so it is doable, if a little tight!

      Delete
  6. We've only ever had a full size bed. As he has aged his snoring has gotten worse. to the point I often just slept on the couch until I he quieted down but then moving to the bed would wake me. Then the dog came and joined us in the bed, then the cat decided that she had to sleep in the bed too and guess whose side they wanted to sleep on. Then I spent 3 weeks in Portugal a couple of years ago sleeping by myself and I slept so well. When I got back, I moved into the second bedroom. It took a couple of weeks before he admitted he was sleeping better too. I love separate bedrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the dog and cat follow you to your bed? There is a very small hide a bed here and I moved to it a couple of nights, but all 5 animals came with me and he had the queen bed to himself!

      Delete
    2. yeah, they did but they don't snore.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth