Everyone Gets A Bath!

 Here is Dora in here new habitat. She is looking out the kitchen window. Her personality has come out a lot since we made our move. Hard to tell, but she is growing.

She sleeps in her blue cave and will stick her head out to stare at me while I make coffee in the morning. Then she waits patiently for me to drink my coffee, knowing I will be back to offer her a special treat.

The boy dogs and I sit on the sofa, and I sip my coffee while they nap tucked up against me. It is a whole new world for me and my canines that I have begun to refer to as my three sons (if you are close to my age, you will get the reference). No pressure to drink fast and get the day started, no phone to answer and have to jump up to take a reservation. I don't know who is happier, me or the dogs.

Martha, the boy cat spent the night outside last night. He hid when it got dark and refused to come when called. He knows better! HeWho went out and scouted the yard and I called out for him. We left the door on the porch open and left a blanket for him and went to bed. Both of us swore to the other that we were not worried. 

I got up around 11pm to scoop Cujo from the floor after he had his drink of water. It was then that I noticed Bo was not in the bed. He likes to get under covers at the foot of the bed and makes such a small lump, it is hard to tell if he is in bed. He was waiting in the living room for his cat. HeWho opened the door and Bo went out to look for Martha. I called out for him and got no response.

We all went to bed. I had visions of bear attacks in my head, knowing full well that Martha cold outrun a bear. He was at the door waiting when Bo woke me this morning. The dogs dashed out and Martha came in. He was happy to see me, even though I scolded him. He pushed himself against my legs, winding in and out, refusing to lose skin contact with me. He finally jumped in the bed to let HeWho know he had survived the night.

More pictures of Dora when she was but a baby, barely surviving in the deep end of the swimming pool full of rotting leaves and all the muck of winter. She lay, belly up and was mistaken for a bottle cap with her belly tattoo and all her appendages safely tucked inside her shell.




The men brought her to me when, after squishing her, she stuck her legs out. They thought she would die, of course. They referred to her as him, so I named him Theodore. Further research online proved us wrong about the gender, so Theodore became Dora, or, as I call her Adorable Dora.



She was about the size of a quarter and is now more like a half dollar. She responds to my voice and is now eating from my fingers. She eats baby reptile pellets, and her appetite has become voracious. At first, she only ate every third day and if you dropped extra pellets, she would let them sink and make the water murky.

Her appetite picked up in December when I added a light to her habitat. After the move, the bulb burst, and we didn't replace it right away. Her spot in the sun on my kitchen counter made the light unneeded and she is thriving. We added small, dried shrimp and mealworms to her diet. The shrimp float and she will scoop them up as she swims. The mealworms are a smelly dish. Unfortunately, they tend to sink, and she now refuses to dive for them, preferring to be fed by me. Wouldn't you know it would be the stinky food!

Did you see the snake in her habitat? It is fake, and she likes it. She also likes her bath every other day in warm water, no soap! She likes a gentle scrub with an old soft toothbrush. Is that good for her? I don't know, but we have a rule here ..... if you live in my house, you will be bathed!

Comments

  1. The first thing I saw was the snake and it made me gasp! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snake does look wicked, she will move it around when she decides to swim along the bottom.

      Delete
  2. I really like Dora's tattoo. And her blue Flintstones house is pretty cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like it came from the Flintstones! She is a red bellied slider and I had never seen one until I met her!

      Delete
  3. I love following your move and settling everyone in. Also love the way you care for your animals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to hear you happy, even if Martha is being a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha is, after all, a cat! Cats can be so spiteful!

      Delete
  5. She is so pretty, I have never seen a turtle like her. my older daughter had a tortoise that eventually outgrew his tank so they put him in the fish pond and he tripled his size! I think I prefer tiny ones like Dora with pretty colouring. I'm glad she is thriving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would like a big tortoise hanging out in my yard! HeWho says no more pets, I laugh and laugh! I am looking for a mate for Dora. Maybe a yellow-bellied slider ...

      Delete
  6. What marvellous markings she has, almost like a striped tabby cat.
    I wouldn’t mind a little scrub with a toothbrush- especially between the toes (not under the foot tho’…. I might giggle a bit)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This my first reptile. I don't think that I would be as enamored with one from a pet store. The fact that she was rescued from certain death makes her all the more precious. If I get another from a pet store, she will always be my number one love. Well, unless Dora attacks it and makes me feel sorry for it

      Delete
  7. Is she a red ear slider? I have a red ear slider. We've had her for about 30 years. Our son brought her home from a stay with my parents and he fished her out of a pond. She was about the size of a half dollar. Her shell is about 10" long now but I haven't measured it in several years. I've been hand feeding that turtle for 30 years and she still ducks her head in when I approach though she will swim toward me or if she's hungry she'll climb out of her pond and come to me if she sees me in the yard. Red ear sliders, once mature, are vegetarians though mine will still eat snails and worms and grubs on the occasion I give them to her. and if hungry enough they will eat 6" long goldfish. Ask me how I know this. Anyway they make turtle sticks which I give her now and then to make sure she's getting all her nutrients. Mostly she gets various fruits and tomatoes and greens like elephant ears and sword leaf which I grow for her. when we moved out here we got her a 6oo gallon stock tank for a pond with a ramp so he can get in and out. though the only times she comes out is when she's hungry and I have failed to feed her often enough or if she wants to lay eggs in the spring which is how I found out she was a girl, three smashed eggs she laid on her sunning stone in the middle of the child's wading pool which was her pond at the time. Her pond is in a fenced area in the yard now but they are good climbers and she was quite the escape artist when we lived in the city. One of the neighbor kids found her halfway down the street once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the internet and the pet store, she is a red-bellied slider. No red markings on her ears. Does yours stay outside in the winter? The camper who found her in the pool while they were preparing to power wash for the paint was always afraid she was too cold in the house. He would tend to her and the cat while we were house hunting. When all is said and done, she is a wild creature and would probably prefer to be outside. As small as she still is I am afraid someone will step on her.

      Delete
    2. yes, mine stays outside all winter but it doesn't get as cold here as it does where you are. I don't remember how big she was when I moved her tank (now a 50 gallon tank) outside. When I moved her to the child's wading pool and then to a deeper preformed water lily pond I would cover it with chicken wire and put a layer of leaves on top for the winter. We eventually got a pond filter and pump to keep the water clear and clean. In the big stock tank, I don't do anything. Over the years enough leaves have formed a muddy bottom and she will hunker down. They survive in the wild in winter so I don't worry about it. You shouldn't have to worry about her being stepped on as she will stay in her pond/tank or you could put a little fence around it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bittersweet

The Half Tooth Lingering In My Mouth

Moving To A new House Would Be Easier